With our busy lifestyles sometimes it helps to cook in bulk. This is one such recipe which tastes yummy and can be made in bulk and stored in the fridge. It is a good lunch option to take to work or to add to your kids lunchbox. Once you have the basic rice and chicken, you can add any veggies, beans, condiments you like. I like to double the chicken recipe and use it later to make wraps, sandwiches or add it to salads. So here is the recipe:
INGREDIENTS FOR CHIPOTLE CHICKEN:
- 1 can (7 oz)- Chipotle in Adobo Sauce/Salsa
- 1/2 tsp- Gochu Garu or Cayenne
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 – tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 4-6 Chicken Breast/Thighs or 1 whole chicken cut in pieces (without skin)
- Blend together all the ingredients expect for the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour (the more the better).
- Bake/ grill the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces ( if using whole chicken, shred it)
INGREDIENTS FOR BROWN RICE:
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 2 1/2 Cup-Water
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon/Lime juice (fresh)
- 1/2 – Bunch of Cilantro (Finely Chopped)
- 1-2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Put the rice in a strainer and wash it till the water runs clear.
- In a large pot add 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup of brown rice.
- When the water comes to a boil lower the heat, cover the pot and let the rice simmer for 30-40 mins.
- Once done, fluff the rice, transfer it to a bowl and let it cool slightly.
- Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Finally add in the cilantro and gently fold.
- I have made it with bone-in chicken and boneless chicken breast and the result is almost the same. It is slightly more juicy when made with bone-in chicken.
- If using the rice cooker, cook rice according to the instructions.
- You can make white rice using the same recipe just reduce the water to 2 cups instead of 2 1/2.
- Some people keep the ratio of water and brown rice as 2:1 but it only works if the rice had been soaked in water for 1/2 hour.The brown rice recipe is chipotle copycat recipe and once I figure out which website I got it from, I will add the link.
- Feel free to add a dollop of sour cream and some cheese to make it more tastey.
- To give it a Mexican touch, add Guacamole and Pico de Gallo.
- To give a Mediterranean touch add Hummus and Tabouli and top the bowl with sumac.