This is traditional snack from Pakistan. You will find different versions of the same dish in almost every home. It is salty, spicy and mouth-watering tangy. It is flavorful and healthy and something which can be made in minutes and can be served at any time of the day. The recipe is fairly simple and you will find most of the ingredients already in your pantry. The chickpeas/garbanzo is full of protein so it keeps you satiated for a long time.
- 2 cans (15 oz each)-Garbanzo Beans/Chickpeas
- 1- Potato (Boiled, peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 cup Tangy Tamarind Sauce
- 1-Onion (small)
- 1- Tomato (big)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2-3 Serrano Chilli (Deseeded if you want less heat)
- 1 tsp- Black Cumin (Shahi Zeera)
- 2 tsp Chaat Masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp.- Oil
- Finely chop the onion, tomato, cilantro and serrano. Make sure to discard the tomato seeds before chopping
- In a work warm the oil and add the black cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to sputter add the potatoes and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the garbanzo/chickpeas, onions, tangy tamarind sauce, spices and onions. Mix together.
- Lastly add the tomatoes, cilantro and serrano and mix thoroughly.
- Serve it hot.
- If you do not have chaat masala you can use salt, crushed red pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper instead but the taste will not be authentic.
- Top it with crushed tortilla chips for extra crunch.