In my journey towards living a more natural lifestyle, I can safely say I have tried many products and routes. The internet, especially pinterest is full of recipes to make natural cleaning products from scratch.
With just a few ingredients you actually are able to make a big batch of product which is clean, affordable and gets the job done. If you are really passionate and have time then I seriously suggest going that route.
Now the reality….
I tried that route for a little while and was really happy but then my laziness kicked in so I had to go back to store-bought products.
My priority was that the product had to be natural and affordable. After much trial and error I was able to find out what works and what does not and since I don’t want you to go through the hassle of researching, buying and trying, I am giving you a list of my favorite top brands which are amazing and work wonders.
Once you try them I am confident you will forget the old conventional products.
These are the brands I use on daily basis and personally love them.
I keep on switching between them.
I will try laundry detergent from one line and dish soap from another. These products are cruelty free, biodegradable, gluten-free, chemical free and there are no artificial fragrances added to them. Most of them have essential oils and that’s why they smell so different and clean.
So here is a list (in no particular order) of my top 8 brands for cleaning around the house:
1. MRS.MEYERS : Cleaning will become therapeutic after using Mrs. Meyers products. Every product from this line does the job to its best. From basil to lemon verbena to geranium to honey suckle there are a lot of fragrances to choose from. The fragrances are natural and a little product goes a long way. My favorite is the Basil fragrance and my favorite products are Everyday Multi Surface cleaner in Basil, Fabric softener along with the latest addition to their line Lemon Verbena Vinegar Gel Cleaner and Baking Soda Cream Cleaner
2. SEVENTH GENERATION: The company has been delivering plant-based solutions for 27 years. It is considered to be the most trusted brand for house hold products. Based in Vermont it is a certified B Corp which better for workers, communities, and environment. I have tried most of the products from this line and each product works better than the previous one. The products smell amazing and work perfectly. My favorite products are Seventh Generation Wood Cleaner – Lemon Chamomile – 18 oz – 2 pk, dish soaps, hand soaps, cleaning wipes and their laundry detergent.
3. DR. BRONNERS: 9 years ago I saw a bottle which was covered in so much text that I did not understand what the actual product was. So I put it back on the shelf. When I started switching to clean products, one product which came up in every search was Dr. Bronners. So I finally went ahead and bought it. I now regret not buying it earlier. This product is so versatile that it can be used in 18 different ways from cleaning around the house, to laundry to self-care. If properly diluted the bottle will last you a long time. ON their website they have a chart which tells the exact dilution ratios. My favorite is the Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap – Peppermint 32oz
4. BIOKLEEN: Founded in 1989, Biokleen is a family owned manufacturer of the most effective plant-based cleaning products available today. The products are concentrated to reduce packaging and shipping waste. All of the products are manufactured with 100% renewable energy offsets. I really like a lot of products from Biokleen but my favorite is Biokleen Oxygen Bleach Plus – 32 oz – 2 pk, Glass Cleaner , Dishwasher Soap and Laundry Detergent.
5. BETTER LIFE: I discovered this product while watching Shark Tank on TV. The crazy thing was that the company claimed its product to be so safe that the guy presenting sprayed it in his mouth. Later while shopping at Target when I saw this product, I knew I had to try it and I am soo happy that I did. Like its name, it does make your life better or I would rather say easier. The products are plant derived and are scented using natural scents. In a very short time I have become a fan of this line. The best product for me is the Better Life All-Purpose Cleaner, Clary Sage & Citrus, 32 Ounces
6. METHOD: This is one brand I was using unknowingly even before switching to natural products. It is available at target and is very affordable. I love their unique packaging and the best part is that they have refills for most of their products. This way you are not throwing away the bottle but reusing it which is good for the environment. My favorite from this line is their hand soaps, wooden floor cleaner, toilet cleaner and Method All Purpose Cleaner, Lime + Sea Salt, 28 fl oz
7. ECOS: The first time I bought an ECOS product was from Walmart….yes you read it right Walmart. I was really skeptical if it is truly a natural product since I had bought it from Walmart but was later surprised to see the same product at a health store for a much higher price. As the company’s website states, the products are powerful, affordable and family made since 1967. The packaging is neat and the product works. Do try the laundry detergent and hand wash.
8. ECOVER: It is a Belgium based company that manufactures ecologically sound cleaning products which are made from plant-based and mineral ingredients. They recently opened a manufacturing plant in Chicago. I really like the automatic dishwasher tablets and dish soaps.
Other notable mentions include Murchison-Hume, J.R. Watkins,Common Good, Honest, Bon Ami, Molly’s Suds & Honest. The reason of not putting these brands in the top list is that either I have recently started using them or have used just one product from the line so it’s too early to tell if I like this brand or not. Will definitely update the list in a few months. So keep checking.